What do the girls think about 4WDing?

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 16:49
ThreadID: 52688 Views:3573 Replies:23 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Im curious to know what women think about four wheel driving and travelling. Do women share the driving, or just do the easy bits. What are the motivations, advantages/disadvantages of being a reasonable (female) 4WD driver? Do many women undertake driver training with a club or from a qualified trainer?

Ive been 4Wdriving for about 20 years, although only did some club training about 3 years ago, and then wished that I had donetraining much sooner. When on trips we share the driving pretty equally, which works out well. I think its a safety issue that both can drive, especially if going into remote areas.

What do other women think?

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:09

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:09
Hi Val,

My dear wife posed a similar question to me only minutes ago about how I felt about ironing and cleaning on my day off. She has always given me the latitude to drive most of the time as she knows I really enjoy that. I have gone out of my way to encourage her to drive on occasions for the very reasons you have mentioned. There is no doubt that she can drive but she needs a little more practice on the tricky stuff just like me and ironing.

Kind regards

Theo
AnswerID: 277442

Reply By: Member - Paul S (VIC) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:28

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:28
G'day Val,

My wife was fine once I convinced her she would'nt have to wear the snatch-strap. Does her share of driving on long trips and loves it.

Cheers,
Paul
AnswerID: 277445

Follow Up By: Member - Graham K (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:36

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:36
Never told my wife about the "snatch strap" under her seat.
FollowupID: 541418

Reply By: Member - Steve (Townsville) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:31

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:31
Our wives had a ladies day where we were the passengers and took them on familiar tracks, I enjoy driving and my wife likes to take the photos so that's just the way we travel.

The reason behind my wife learning the basics was so that if something happened and she had to drive out of somewhere she could.

Also proved handy when a group of us wanted to ride our dirt bikes for a weekend away and the ladies drove the vehicles, trailers and camping gear in.

Steve

AnswerID: 277447

Reply By: Member - Graham K (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:31

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:31
My wife and I always share the driving especially when we get to the tricky bits. That way she has fun too so will always "approve" any four wheel adventure that I propose. The club training sounds like a great idea especially for recoveries etc. If only I knew of such a club in the central west of NSW.
Regards
Graham
AnswerID: 277448

Follow Up By: madfisher - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 21:01

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 21:01
Graham I am sure the Central west 4wd club is still going based in orange or Bathurst. Their is also the Motex 4wd club, which are into more hardcore activites
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 541477

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:49

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:49
My wife loves it when I go touring. The longer the better, as she stays at home with the dogs. Then when she tells me she's off to Europe again, I don't have an excuse for her not to go :(((((((
AnswerID: 277456

Reply By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:50

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:50
My Missus, flat out refuses to drive the "truck" as we call it. She hates the size ect. So thats why my 4wding is confined to weekends away with the kids, gives her some respite from the kids

Cheers Stefan
AnswerID: 277458

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:55

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 17:55
stefan,

I would not make anyone drive your "truck",:-))

Wayne
FollowupID: 541422

Follow Up By: On Patrol - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 18:18

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 18:18
"gives her some respite from the kids"

Ha Ha Ha thats what she tells you!!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 541424

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 18:08

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 18:08
Val,

Belinda has driven the 80 Series in her younger days, BK. Back in those days there were some good track close to home and a Sunday drive with diff locks and winch in use was common.

She has done several driver training courses and can handle the vehicle with ease. At 5ft and a light weight she does look a bit out of place in a vehicle that is over 2mt high and tips the scales at over 3t.
Belinda is happy for me to drive but I do know if it came to the crunch she would drive.
The Troopie is not the easiest vehicle to drive but she does like the respect that she gets at round a bouts.

Wayne
AnswerID: 277464

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 18:33

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 18:33
My Judith says

"I like arriving at the destination and like the travelling to a degree as long as it doesn't get too rough"

Last year while traversing some 260km of mulga stakes and spinifex clumps in trackless country Judith took over the Laptop and was telling me in no uncertain terms exactly where I was to drive....lol

Judith enjoys campfire cooking, painting, photography and nature in general. Now in her senior years she prefers some mod cons such as the porta potti and the ability to wash her hair every morning. She hates the rough stuff and hard treks and opts to stay home when any of these treks come up...:-D

Cheers
AnswerID: 277471

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 18:35

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 18:35
PS: Judith can operate the winch, change a tyre, drive the bloody thing(not automatic...lol) and read a map..... but she would prefer me to do all of those!!!!
FollowupID: 541427

Reply By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 18:41

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 18:41
Hi Val,
I like to do my fair share of towing our caravan and 4wheel driving but I struggle as the other half likes to have control it is a power thing he is quite happy to hand over the wheel when he gets tired and then sleeps for an hour or two. Now I say that I have to tow at least once a day so that if something goes wrong I will be able to do it. I wont drive through the city as he is not the best navigator as he forgets to look at the map so I do that job while he drives less arguements that way.
Barb
AnswerID: 277473

Reply By: johannagoanna - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 20:32

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 20:32
I love it, love it, love it!!!!! I love the 4wding, I love the camping, I love being out there, in the bush, with my kids! It is just the best that Australia has to offer!

I don't have a husband to share the driving, and I like it just that way!! Been to Cape York and just about everywhere around NSW so far, Flinders planned for next year!

Ladies if you husband argues and wants to drive, don't ditch the 4wding, ditch the man!! LMAO!

Jo
AnswerID: 277496

Reply By: Member - steve H (QLD) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 21:48

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 21:48
Hi Val
My darling wife hates 4WDing . As soon as those hubs even look like being locked in she's out the door. The best my sons and I got out of her was going on the beach on Stradbroke,even then she walked from the dirt track down to the hard sand and then she thought we were gong to run into every other vehicle on the beach. When it comes to camping we have to stay on an ensuite site in a caravan park in our tent that is as big a small home. My sons and I try to get away on our own as often as possible. When friends comment on the fuel cost of the Patrol I tell them its great because I only fill it up every two months.
That reminds me, I better take it for its weekly run around the block

Steve
AnswerID: 277516

Reply By: Member - Au-2 - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 21:52

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 21:52
Well Val I, for one, love it! I get butterflies every time we are packing the camper for a trip. We used to go camping with four kids in the 80's and, compared to the logistics of those trips--no trailer,everything carried in the 4wd--our trips are much easier these days. I have no troubles with driving and love the challenges that come with travelling and camping. I feel that it keeps the brain exercised when you have to figure out a solution to a problem that wouldn't occur at home, not that there are that many. Just being out 'there' experiencing this beautiful land far out-weighs any minor discomforts along the way.
OzeSheila.
AnswerID: 277519

Reply By: Smudger - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 21:53

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 21:53
My wife has always been an excellent driver, I was always astounded by her ability to stay alert at the wheel on long hauls - we did 8 trips across the Nullabour before it was sealed. But, now she won't take the wheel on rough 4WD tracks. She says she knows how much I love bush work, so is happy to leave it to me. I reckon she would be a good off-road driver, because she has good basic mechanical understsnding. This is a woman who checks the oil, transmission, brakes and coolant weekly in her own car. She knows what a wobbly steering wheel means.
But, when we had a power boat, she refused to take the wheel coz she reckoned there was no control .."There's no brakes!". Now that we have a small yacht, she takes the tiller off me at every opportunity.
Bloody women! I've given up trying to understand them.
AnswerID: 277521

Reply By: Member - Au-2 - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 21:54

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 21:54
Well Val I, for one, love it! I get butterflies every time we are packing the camper for a trip. We used to go camping with four kids in the 80's and, compared to the logistics of those trips--no trailer, everything carried in the 4wd--our trips are much easier these days. I have no troubles with driving and love the challenges that come with travelling and camping. I feel that it keeps the brain exercised when you have to figure out a solution to a problem that wouldn't occur at home, not that there are that many. Just being out 'there' experiencing this beautiful land far out-weighs any minor discomforts along the way.
OzeSheila.
AnswerID: 277523

Reply By: Member - Mal W (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 21:54

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 21:54
Val
When we are touring my wife drives from morning tea to lunch, wherever and over whatever happens to present itself at that time. That way I get a break and she gets experience that might prove necessary to have one day. Works for us.

Mal
AnswerID: 277524

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 23:03

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 23:03
We try to share the driving although in reality Nathan probably drives more than 50%....but he gets up during the night to the kids (at home or camping) 0%.......(but thats another arguement)

I love 4wding and was into it before I met Nathan, had a suzie, that I would thrash around on the tracks....so not afraid of much...exept for rolling off hills or backwards....but thats another story...

I love it, enjoy it and look forward to it. I find that I am a more confident driver knowing what my vehicle is capable of doing.

Also taking the 4b around tight tracks with trees either side etc out in the scrub teaches you to know every inch of your car and that helps in town when I do the "female" things like shopping, banking, shopping etc!! When we had the Landcruiser I could park that thing anywhere because I knew every inch of it...and that was without using mirrors on shops or on the car..

Nathan trusts me and knows that Im capable of driving dirt roads and being in control - and there is that safety issue too.....

My motivation Val....mmm....being in control!! LOL !!

Have a good'n'

Laura

AnswerID: 277547

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 07:43

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 07:43
ps.....I forgot to add that my "awareness" driving course consistered of a few yrss of "rescues" of other people (because of where I was living, we were the clostest ones to any track...), making mistakes and having to get out of it....

the only thing I cannt do in a 4b is reverse a trailer....oh hang on...thats in any car...LLOL!!!!

Laura
FollowupID: 541540

Reply By: ChallengeLee - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 23:45

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 23:45
I was never one for camping when younger...thats another story but in the last couple of years have taken up camping with my brother and sis in law, much sand driving and an occasional jaunt through the scrub and l was pretty much hooked.

The middle of this year l bought my first 4wd and the first thing l did was join a club and do their 4wd driver awareness program, it was the most amazing and exhilirating weekend l've had for many many a year. I gained such a wealth of knowledge and feel that l am capable and pretty much prepared for anything now. I highly recommend doing some sort of 4wdriver training or awareness program, it's amazing what it does for your confidence and abilities.

I am now self sufficient when it comes to camping, everything that l need to keep me safe and comfortable. I have more of a preference for bush than beach so geared myself up for that. I have found camping areas that l feel safe either going on my own or with my son and still a heap of fun to be found.

I like Johanna am on my own and looked at it as an opportunity for my 14 year old son to still want to spend time with his mum and have fun. He brings one or two of his mates along, bring their bikes and we're off for the weekend. He has gained a new found respect for his oldie and l get to share just a little bit longer with my teen. He looks forward to getting his own 4by when he is of age.

Me and my 4wd, l tell ya, l'd come close to saying l'd even give up men for it....l just love it and all the trips and enjoyment l get from being at the wheel of it......ahhhhhhhh.....Life IS Good

Lee
AnswerID: 277557

Reply By: HGMonaro - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 00:07

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 00:07
I'd let the Mrs drive but she's to busy sleeping!

Although that is true, the main aspect is she can read a map, both to understand it, and in the moving vehicle. I can't look down or I'll puke! I get bored being a passenger and can't sleep either so that's not an option.

On our recent 1/2 lap, she drove approximately 5km out of 21500, however she does back the car up to hook up the camper as my directions are better than hers for doing that!

One funny incident occurred at the Ivanhoe crossing near Kununurra. We drove out for a look and I didn't even suggest we drive thru as she's not keen on going thru water at the best of times (due to childhood incident at a boat ramp) and she suggested we drive across and back. At least, once my eagle eye son spotted a couple of crocs just upstream, she couldn't blame me for going across :)

Cheers, Nige
AnswerID: 277566

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 10:04

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 10:04
LOL ...... The ONLY chance I have getting my wife in the 4b is to go to a 5 star hotel and thats as close as the good lady gets to the outdoors these days ...........bugger.

As for driving, NOPE, never, not a chance. Still hopefull wife will come to Darwin next year via the vehicle although I figure wife will fly up and me drive, more the pity.

Brian

AnswerID: 277605

Reply By: Bap - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 11:02

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 11:02
Hi Val
I love 4wdriving, and am usually the one who is pushing to go!! I will do as much driving off road as I can. I especially love the looks I get from men as I drive past, I can't figure out if they think "cool, good to see a woman driving", or "that guy must be crazy letting his wife drive!"
I drive the 4wd round during the week and so in my opinion it is MY car!!! Love taking the 4 kids out camping (not "caravan parking"!), you can't beat getting away from the city, especially at this time of the year. I have been 4wdriving for most of my life and so am fairly confident, however, on long trips on the bitumen, I don't do that much driving as I find it hard to stay awake so would rather he drove and I just yakked to him all the way to keep him awake!
Am now learning to back a trailer so I can back the boat down the ramp! That way, I can take the boat out while he's at work...hahaha.....don't think I will get away wiith that!
Michelle
AnswerID: 277621

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 14:54

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 14:54
Hi Val
Gee - interesting question and interesting answers, but so few from the girls. One must assume that not too many women get onto this site.
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 277653

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 16:44

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 16:44
Hi Val,
I thought there were enough responses until I saw the last one so here goes.
I love to get off with our camper towed by Prado. When we are on the track we share the driving.
When we were in the Kimberley John had neck/back problems and I drove for a month which included much of the Gibb and side roads (Mornington Camp, Bell's Gorge, etc.). Loved it.
I do admit to being a bit edgy on sand and tend to avoid it, even when he is driving! It's just lack of practice.
We both did a training course specifically for soft 4WDs (had an Xtrail at the time). Very worthwhile.

PS We live at Jerra
AnswerID: 277679

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 21:39

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 21:39
This forum can be relied on to bring out different and interesting points of view.

Thanks to all who have responded - and especially the women who put in their two bob's worth. You have highlighted the sheer fun and advantages of being able to drive the 4WD and the benefits of practice. I liked some of the ideas to build experience and confidence too.

I wonder if sometimes we women are a bit too quick to hand over the wheel or find a reason not to drive in the first place. No reason for the fellas to have all the FUN!!!

Apart from the fun, when in rough driving situations I really find it more comfortable doing the driving, and that has the added advantage of being in control of the vehicle. But I think that I am a more relaxed passenger knowing what each of us and the vehicle can (and can't) do.

I would encourage anyone who is hanging back to give it a go - do some training if you can, drive on the gravel, the sand, and the rougher stuff. Its just the best way to see this great country, as well as being a great adventure.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 277735

Sponsored Links